Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members | Log In

Getting Cobian Backup Software Updates while behind a firewall you control... Options · View
Reactor89
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 2:03:10 AM
Groups: Member

My apologies if this topic is discussed else where but I searched both the FAQ and the Forum to no avail so here I go....

The Error:

After telling Cobian Backup to "Check for new versions" I get:
ERR 1/2/2010 3:54:16 PM Error while checking for new versions (could be a server-side problem or a firewall issue): Connect timed out.

The Reason:

I use a NAT Router with a built-in firewall and I keep a strict policy when determining what ports I keep open and what ports I keep closed (generally the less ports I keep open the better). Hence the time out error occurs because my firewall blocks the port that Cobian Backup wants to use to perform the update with and when I shut off my router's firewall this error no longer occurs.

Generally when I get a problem like this I try to use Wireshark (packet analyzer) to identify a port or range of ports I need to open in order for a program to work correctly. Yet when analyzing the traffic the port range seems larger then I had hoped for. Hence experimentally figuring out what ports I need to open through packet analyze is no longer an ideal solution.

My Questions:

What ports are required to be open for the Cobian Backup "Check for new versions" feature to work correctly? Are there any ways to control what ports the Cobian Backup software uses to allow the "Check for new versions" feature to work?

Sadly if I can't get Cobian Backup 9 to use a limited set of ports to preform it's network tasks within I going to start shutting off features that can't work behind the firewall.

Thanks for reading,

Reactor89
Sponsor
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 2:03:10 AM
cobian
Posted: Sunday, January 03, 2010 11:49:08 AM

Groups: Administration

Your problem is likely to be a server side problem, and not in your machine. The port to use is 2002. But for the next version port 80 will be used.